Forum Discussion

bdurbin
Contributor
11 years ago

Permission denied requesting kudos/givers for a message via API

I'm extracting the individuals who have given kudos on a set of messages. My API user has full privileges on the target community, and most of the calls in a series of calls to /restapi/vc/messages/id/<ID>/kudos/givers are working as expected. In a few cases, the response data from the API endpoint is:

<response status="error">
  <error code="303">
    <message>Permission Denied</message>
  </error>
</response>

The kudos count for the messages in question are greater than 0, so it appears that there is valid kudo data associated with the messages that give this response. From what I can tell from spot-checking the permission denied messages in the Community's UI, these messages are in threads where kudos were once enabled, some kudos were given to messages in the thread, and then kudos were later disabled.

My questions are:

* Is the disabling of kudos on a given thread (but not the containing board) after kudos have been given to messages on that thread the cause of this API response?

* If so, is there some other means by which I can retrieve the list of kudo "givers" for these messages?

• Hi,

As you are making a rest api call with respect to message, this call returns users who have given kudos to that particular post.

When you turn off and hide kudos from topic options for that thread it will not allow above api to fetch kudos details.

That is the reason you are getting this response.

Hope this helps.
  • Hi,

As you are making a rest api call with respect to message, this call returns users who have given kudos to that particular post.

When you turn off and hide kudos from topic options for that thread it will not allow above api to fetch kudos details.

That is the reason you are getting this response.

Hope this helps.
      dhiraj_gophane
      Leader
      As per my knowledge once you turn off kudos for a particular thread, you cannot get kudos details for that thread.

May be I can dig more and if possible I can come up with some solution.

Thanks,
      Dhiraj
      bdurbin
      Contributor

Thanks to all of the posters for their suggestions. The accepted solution ended up being our issue exactly: re-enabling kudos temporarily on a kudos-disabled thread made it possible to grab the list of "givers" for messages in that thread. Turning kudos back off put us back in the Permission denied state.

Thanks again for the help.

HaidongG
    Lithium Alumni (Retired)

Hi bdurbin 

There are many reasons the result can happen, but most likely the user from rest has has no right to kudo the board/category where the message is from.

check out Admin->Users->Role (remember to jump to the board), and edit the role,

Under "Kudos" section, there is a permission to give kudo.

Best Regards

Haidong