Forum Discussion

jmurray
Champion
13 years ago

possible to change length of subject title before ellipsis cuts it off?

Because of the existing styling of our community, it would be easiest for me to deal with a particular issue by telling Lithium to apply the ellipsis to lengthy subject titles at a shorter character value.  I see in text editor where maybe I can do this for user names, tags, and reviews, but I'm not seeing it for subject titles.  I don't want to use "maximum number of characters in subject" either.  The limit would be too low.  But for visual purposes, it can be lower than that.  Does anybody know how to do this? 

It would be even better if I could do this in only the component I'm trying to do it in, rather than everywhere.  Unfortunately, editing the "lia-message-read" class changed the values on the whole page though instead of just in my custom component.  If anybody knows how to deal with that, it would solve the problem too.

• jmurray - if you want to do it with Freemarker you can use substring function to shorten the length of the subject.  However if you trying to do this with CSS of JS, you might need to use any unique ID or Class to restrict it for your custom component. This will not change the value of whole page as you have mentioned. 

e.g

.unique-class .lia-message-read {
    //your css here
    }

Tariq

Give kudos if you find my posts helpful or mark solution if it answers your query.

rnedelkow
      Ace

Thanks TariqHussain. I'll take a look. Any chance you could tell me where to find this line?

.unique-class .lia-message-read {}

AdamN
    Khoros Oracle

Hi jmurray,

This isn't available in the admin unfortunately, but it is possible for Lithium to configure it for you. I'd suggest filing a case via our Customer Case Portal so that our Support team can assist with the next steps.

Regards,

Adam

• I'm trying to set the "Maximum number of characters in subject" to 200 but the change doesn't have an effect on existing topic subjects. Am I looking in the right place or is a customer case required?