Forum Discussion

12 months ago

Errors installing lithium-sdk on RHEL 9.2

Hi all, I have a new Red Hat Enterprise Linux (RHEL) 9.2 server on which I am trying to install the lithium-sdk node package, but it is failing with an error involving node-gyp. Here is the full er...
    12 months ago

UPDATE:

I was able to successfully install the lithium-sdk package.  First, I created a new "lithium" user on my server to run the npm commands, rather than running them as the root user. 

Second, with the help of Khoros Support I realized that the syntax error I was getting was because npm was expecting to find Python 2.7 associated with /usr/bin/python, but on newer RHEL/CentOS/Rocky systems it looks like Python2 is not installed by default nor is it available via yum or dnf.

Therefore, I had to manually download, compile, and install Python2 with the following commands:

cd ~
    dnf -y groupinstall "development tools"
    curl -L -O https://www.python.org/ftp/python/2.7.18/Python-2.7.18.tar.xz
    tar xf Python-2.7.18.tar.xz
    cd Python-2.7.18
    ./configure --prefix=/usr/local --enable-shared --enable-unicode=ucs4
    make && make altinstall
    update-alternatives --install /usr/bin/python python /usr/local/bin/python2.7 1
    update-alternatives --install /usr/bin/python python /usr/bin/python3.9 2

I then had to manually configure the python command to be associated with Python2.7 with this command:

update-alternatives --config python

As mentioned, this allowed me to successfully install the lithium-sdk package for the lithium user I created.

However, for some reason even though it is installed successfully, the "li" command will not work and I get the following message when I try to use it:

[lithium@new-server ~]$ li
    bash: li: command not found

Does anyone know what I need to do to get the command to work now?

Thanks in advance!