Forum Discussion

10 years ago

How do I change the status of an idea?

Hi there, I'm trying to use the API to change the status of an idea, but I keep getting errors. /restapi/vc/messages/id/609/message_status/ shows me these results: <response status="success">  <me...
    DougS
    10 years ago

I think I see the issue -- my last example was not quite correct.  First, you need to add the message status via the idea exchange admin (if you have not done so already) -- go to the SYSTEM -> Statuses -> Statuses tab  and click the Create Idea Status button to create a new idea status:

Screen Shot 2015-02-10 at 9.35.07 AM.png

(You could also add the status using the /board/message_statuses/available API call)

After you've created the status for your idea exchange, you should be able to see that status in the results of the /board/message_statuses/available call.  In the results of that call, you should see an href property for the status you want to see -- it will look something like this:

Screen Shot 2015-02-10 at 9.43.05 AM.png

Take the URL for the message status you want from the href parameter and use that as the value of the message.status parameter -- something like this (the id will most likely be different for the status you want to set):

/restapi/vc/messages/id/609/message_status/set?message.status=/message_statuses/id/5

To be safe, you should probably URL encode your query parameter values, so you should probably do something like this instead:

/restapi/vc/messages/id/609/message_status/set?message.status=%2Fmessage_statuses%2Fid%2F5

I believe you can also use something like /message_statuses/key/<your status key> as well, so you could probably do this:

/restapi/vc/messages/id/609/message_status/set?message.status=%2Fmessage_statuses%2Fkey%2Fduplicate

Hopefully that does it.

Thanks,

-Doug