Forum Discussion

Kerri
Maven
2 years ago

Stage SDK Changes?

Hi there - I'm not a Developer by trade, but can muddle my way through Studio most of the time LOL. But I'm working on an instance which is telling me that pages exist in an SDK, however no one on ou...
    2 years ago

When you make a change in Studio to a file that exists in SDK, the changes you make are the changes that are used (they "override" the SDK version). 

If somewhere down the line a developer comes along and decides they want to use the SDK again, they can fetch all the changes you made in Studio and copy them back into the SDK.

So in short, making changes in Studio is perfectly safe and you won't create any headaches for anyone.

2 years ago

Kerri Customisations made in Studio are packaged into a Studio plugin and customisations contributed using the SDK are packaged as SDK plugin. 

Files in the Studio plugin can  override files from the SDK plugin - meaning that you can accidentally alter work created by another team member if you don't understand how these plugins interact.

When a community page renders, files from the SDK plugin are loaded first followed by files from the Studio plugin.  If files in both plugins use the same file name, the version of the file in the Studio plugin is the file that is rendered in the community. If you accidentally override a component, page, skin, or asset contributed via the SDK, you can revert to the original SDK version.

Further, as MattV  said, if someone wishes to use the SDK again, they can fetch all the changes you made in Studio and copy them back into the SDK.