Forum Discussion

10 years ago

Replace username by firstname of user.

Hi Team,

In community, user is represented by his username, I want to represent him by firstname only.

For example, if my username is johnD and firstname is john. Now whenever i posted a topic,

it says - johnD posted a topic whereas it should be like john posted a topic. 

How to achieve it ?

Thanks,

Vishwajeet.

• Hi vishwajeet_hol , you'd need to build a custom component and use that in the message quilt.

From http://community.lithium.com/t5/Community-API/bd-p/developers-rest-api?leaf-id=User.profiles#User.profiles

The field you want is "name_first", but you'll need to make sure you've got a fallback for people who don't have their name entered and for people who have changed their settings to not show their identity.

This is a big change to make, is your userbase going to be aware in advance they will be posting using their own name and not a username?

And for UI consistency, are you planning on showing the name as their name "John" instead of "JohnD" everywhere?

If so, how do I @mention someone when I don't see their username anywhere?

How do I send someone a PM?

Usernames are unique, but first names are not, how do you address 3 John's posting in the same thread?

I think there's a lot to think about in implementing this. I'd love to know more on why you're heading down this route :)

Tim

• Tim_h  - Hi Tim,

Thanks for your deep ideas and suggetions. we also think that this can be achieved throgh custom component only.

The reason behind hiding username is the security purpose and it is a client requirement.

We already discussed all this issues with our client. Finding other ways to make the things done.

Vishwajeet

Tim_h
        Boss

Can't argue with a requirement, sometimes we gotta do what we gotta do.

In that case the only thing I'd stress is making sure the fallback plan works if they don't enter a name, and I'd love to hear how you address the PM/ @mention issues :)

Good luck!