Forum Discussion

12 months ago

Replacing the old links in forum with the new one in the body of many posts

Hi! 
  In the forum we have a lot of messages with the links from the old versions of the forum (before March 2020) that are posted in the old questionsWhile they all have redirects and by clicking them, you still are transferred to the right place in the forum, we would love to get rid of them and exchange them for the new ones. 
  Is there any API call that can edit message's body? Or maybe this issue can be resolved in the forum settings? Would be greatful for any tips and ideas

• My .02 - I would honestly just accept it is what it is, and carry on.

With that said, you could surely build a script to pull out the body of every message, find/edit every URL, and then edit the post of every mention you find of it.

There is endless downsides to doing it, from building out the tech to do it, the testing/QA, the bugs that will likely occur, the fact every post will now show up as having been edited on the random day you do it, the last edit author will be changed, etc etc.

If you already got the link redirects changed, that's the most important part.  I would check how many users are viewing content from years ago, in our Community this is usually a handful of views a year, but could be different on your use cases.

• My .02 - I would honestly just accept it is what it is, and carry on.

With that said, you could surely build a script to pull out the body of every message, find/edit every URL, and then edit the post of every mention you find of it.

There is endless downsides to doing it, from building out the tech to do it, the testing/QA, the bugs that will likely occur, the fact every post will now show up as having been edited on the random day you do it, the last edit author will be changed, etc etc.

If you already got the link redirects changed, that's the most important part.  I would check how many users are viewing content from years ago, in our Community this is usually a handful of views a year, but could be different on your use cases.