Forum Discussion

bnlucas
Adept
9 years ago

REST API - Find all forums and boards under category

I'm trying to build an outline of our categories and the forums and boards associated with them. I have been searching the documentation for about an hour and I cannot figure out how to find forums linked to a category.

<ul>
<#list rest("/categories?restapi.response_style=view").categories.category as category>
    <li>${category.title}</li>
    <ul>

<!-- Find all forums/boards linked to category -->

</li>
</ul>

I've been able to find the boards linked

SELECT * FROM boards WHERE parent_category.id = '<ID>'

But I can't find the forums at all.

• bnlucas - By forums, what did you mean? These are generally referred to as boards which you have already found. Are you looking for any specific type of information?

Lithium has following:

Categories

Boards (forums) 

Threads/ Messages

Blogs

Ideas

TKB

Contest

QandA

Groups

• Within the UI, I have a category with four children. Three of which are designated as "forums" when you hover over the icon and the other is designated as a "board." When I run that LiQL that I posted, it is only returning the one designated as a board, not the three forums as well.

I believe I figured it out using ancestor_id over parent_id.
      cike
      Champion

Hi bnlucas,

within the Lithium universe forum and board are synonyms, but the common wording for this kind of node is board. Technically, the conversation.style of messages from a board is set to "forum".

What's the difference between you forums and boards? Which node type did you choose when creating the elements?

Best regards,

Christian

bnlucas
        Adept

cike - I wasn't the one who set up the boards, so I'm not exactly sure. I have fully figured it out though, something I couldn't find in the documentation anywhere. The LiQL didn't work, it only returns the "board"

Using the following, I'm able to get the information:

<ul>
        <#list rest("/categories?restapi.response_style=view").categories.category as category>
            <li>${category.title}</li>
            <ul>
                <#list rest("/categories/id/${category.id}/boards?restapi.response_style=view").boards.board as board>
                <li>${board.title}</li>
            </#list>
            </ul>
        </#list>
        </ul>

I found this looking at:

SELECT boards FROM categories

Which gives:

SELECT * FROM boards WHERE ancestor_categories.id = '<ID>'