Forum Discussion

3 years ago

ReST API call to Edit Message Author

I am working on changing the status of Ideas and adding the comments via ReST API call. I am able to achieve this using the details provided by Akenefick   (Discussion link: https://community.khoros.com/t5/Developer-Discussion/Idea-Exchange-Status-and-Comment-Update-via-ReST-API/m-p/670166#M18255).

Now, I would like to change the author of the last comment from my service account to a community user, so any reply to that comment can be notified to that user. I did try the call as below mentioned in few discussions, but this will not update the author but only updates the last_edit_author. And any reply to this comment would not get the user [koushikniranjan] any notifications. Has anyone tried this and worked for them? Or any better approach?

{{API_PATH}}/restapi/vc/messages/id/131270/edit?message.author=login/koushikniranjan

• koushikniranjan I heard back from an Engineer who works with message creation/editing. We don't currently support changing the original author of any message via UI or API. We do have a similar business story in our backlog to cover use cases like

• As a Community Manager, when the author of an article leaves the community, I want to assign another member as the owner so that the article is updated regularly and maintained.
    • As a Blogs Lead, I want the draft an article and publish on behalf of a CXO/Senior leader so that the author of the article is shown as CXO.

It seems like this would work for your use case as well and I will add a reference to this point in the ticket. The story hasn't been picked up yet, though, and we don't have a timeframe for when it will be.

SuzieH
    Khoros Alumni (Retired)

koushikniranjan I heard back from an Engineer who works with message creation/editing. We don't currently support changing the original author of any message via UI or API. We do have a similar business story in our backlog to cover use cases like

• As a Community Manager, when the author of an article leaves the community, I want to assign another member as the owner so that the article is updated regularly and maintained.
    • As a Blogs Lead, I want the draft an article and publish on behalf of a CXO/Senior leader so that the author of the article is shown as CXO.

It seems like this would work for your use case as well and I will add a reference to this point in the ticket. The story hasn't been picked up yet, though, and we don't have a timeframe for when it will be.

• Thank you SuzieH for getting back to me on this. 

Yes, we would very much like to have this feature included in the community API calls.

Thank you,

Koushik N

SuzieH
    Khoros Alumni (Retired)

koushikniranjan I just want to verify that the user koushikniranjan has permission to post messages. In the meantime, I'm checking with our Engineering team to track down more information on this endpoint or see if there is another option.

• Hi SuzieH ,

I have permissions to post messages and have done it in the past. My ID has community admin access.