Forum Discussion

12 years ago

REST API. How to sort messages in a blog?

Hello folks,

I have a question:

Lets consider that we have a blog with articles.

How can we sort all these articles by views or publish date?

We have tried to use following REST API methods:

/restapi/vc/blogs/id/%ArticleName%/topics/messages?sort_by=-date

/restapi/vc/blogs/id/%ArticleName%/topics/messages?sort_by=views

/restapi/vc/blogs/id/%ArticleName%/topics/messages?sort_by=-views

/restapi/vc/blogs/id/%ArticleName%/topics/messages?sort_by=-topicViews

end etc.

But it looks like "sort_by" parameter doesn't work.

We have found that this parameter takes into account by the search method of the blog.

Here is example:

/restapi/vc/blogs/id/%ArticleName%/search/messages?sort_by=views&q=know

But in this case not all blog articles can be included in the search results(Because we have to use something for value of the "q" parameter).

AdamN
    12 years ago

Hello,

If you want to go the search route, you can use "is_root:true" as the value of the q parameter, and then sort as needed. This will return "root" messages, which is the first message in a thread. For example:
    http://lithosphere.lithium.com/restapi/vc/blogs/id/lithiumblog/search/messages?q=is_root:true&sort_by=-topicViews

There's a message_viewer.topic_sort_order parameter that can be used with the threads methods; however, the only available values are last_post_date and topic_start_date, which doesn't sound like it will help you with your particular use case. I'd suggest giving the search option a try.

I hope this helps!

-Adam

AdamN
      Khoros Oracle

Hello,

If you want to go the search route, you can use "is_root:true" as the value of the q parameter, and then sort as needed. This will return "root" messages, which is the first message in a thread. For example:
      http://lithosphere.lithium.com/restapi/vc/blogs/id/lithiumblog/search/messages?q=is_root:true&sort_by=-topicViews

There's a message_viewer.topic_sort_order parameter that can be used with the threads methods; however, the only available values are last_post_date and topic_start_date, which doesn't sound like it will help you with your particular use case. I'd suggest giving the search option a try.

I hope this helps!

-Adam