<name>LEVEL 1, NAME1</name>
<points>0</points>
</level>
<level>
<name>LEVEL 2, NAME2</name>
<points>10</points>
</level>
</levels>

Now I would like to get this data in custom component. How can I do that? I tried to use rest call but I am not sure which url should I use.

My endpoint url looks like this:

https://communityurl/plugins/custom/communityname/communityname/ranking_levels

ChiaraS
    8 years ago

In that case, I would probably just add the details (as json, xml or whatever structure you want to use)  in one of the custom content fields (/t5/bizapps/bizappspage/tab/community%3Aadmin%3Acontent%3Acustom-content) which is not used and get the content from the custom component with rest (https://community.lithium.com/t5/Developer-Documentation/bd-p/dev-doc-portal?section=commv1&leaf-id=Settings.name.name#Settings.name.name )

For ex. for custom content 9:

<#assign custom_content_9 = restadmin('/settings/name/customcontent.9_text').value />

• omygoodness- As ChiaraS said, custom content is the best way to do this, I would suggest you to use JSON structure for this. You also can create macro to store your XML or JSON structure in a freemarker variable.
    Thus you can include your macro in any custom content and endpoint to access your XML or JSON structure.

• Do you mean something like this?

<#assign custom_content_9 = restadmin('/settings/name/customcontent.9_text').value />

<#assign test = custom_content_9?eval>

${test}

And how should I format JSON to be correct?

For now my custom_content_9 looks exactly like this and ?eval didn't help:

{
    "levels": [
    {
    "name": "LEVEL 1",
    "points": "0"
    },
    {
    "name": "LEVEL 2",
    "points": "10"
    }]
    }

Error:

FreeMarker template error (HTML_DEBUG mode; use RETHROW in production!)

For "${...}" content: Expected a string or something automatically convertible to string (number, date or boolean), but this has evaluated to an extended_hash (wrapper: f.c.HashLiteral$SequenceHash):
    ==> test  [in template "ranking-test.ftl" at line 5, column 3]

----
    FTL stack trace ("~" means nesting-related):
    	- Failed at: ${test}  [in template "ranking-test.ftl" at line 5, column 1]

SOLUTION 

Ok. I think I have solution :) Custom content with JSON or rather array should look like this:

{
        "name": "LEVEL1",
        "points": "0",
        "name": "LEVEL2",
        "points": "10",
        "name": "LEVEL3",
        "points": "50"
    }

Then we have ?keys for keys in my case "name" and "points" and ?values for values like "LEVEL1" and number of points

<#assign test = restadmin('/settings/name/customcontent.9_text').value?eval>

<#list test?keys as k>
      ${k}
    </#list>

<#list test?values as v>
      ${v}
    </#list>

So in the end ?eval worked for me but proper format of data is crucial here.

• omygoodness - This can be achieved by making an jQuery ajax call to an endpoint. Your endpoint type should be XML in order to get response in XML format.   

var endpoint_url = "/plugins/custom/communityname/communityname/ranking_levels";
    $.get(url, function(data, status){ alert("Data: " + data + "\nStatus: " + status); });

If you are not familiar with jQuery you can refer here . 

Give kudos if you find my posts helpful or mark solution if it answers your query

ChiaraS
      Lithium Alumni (Retired)

omygoodness what's the use case for calling the endpoint from a custom component? I would just move create a macro and call that from both the endpoint and the custom component...

omygoodness
        Mentor

TariqHussainChiaraS I have custom ranks created in ADMIN - USERS - RANKING. Each rank has custom formula which counts user points for topics, kudos etc. 

Now I would like to store points for each rank to count them in such way: NEXT_LEVEL_POINTS - CURRENT_POINTS = POINTS_TO_ACHIEVE and display progress bar. Since I can't create custom field called "points" I need some place to store NEXT_LEVEL_POINTS.

I came up with XML file and rest call to get data using Freemarker and avoid using jQuery but maybe I am looking in wrong place?

Will macros do the job? Can you tell me more about it?

Example XML

<levels>
        <level>
        <name>LEVEL 1, NAME1</name>
        <points>0</points>
        </level>
        <level>
        <name>LEVEL 2, NAME2</name>
        <points>10</points>
        </level>
        </levels>