Forum Discussion

Kerri
Maven
2 years ago

Stage SDK Changes?

Hi there - I'm not a Developer by trade, but can muddle my way through Studio most of the time LOL. But I'm working on an instance which is telling me that pages exist in an SDK, however no one on our team is aware of who would have set this up (it's a newly built team taking over from a previous group).

If I make changes to Studio in Stage, will this impact the SDK or vice versa? In previous roles, there were sometimes issues with this but given we don't have anyone actively managing an SDK, I assume it should be fine.  (hopefully I'm explaining this right lol - let me know if I'm unclear)

Any guidance would be appreciated! 

• When you make a change in Studio to a file that exists in SDK, the changes you make are the changes that are used (they "override" the SDK version). 

If somewhere down the line a developer comes along and decides they want to use the SDK again, they can fetch all the changes you made in Studio and copy them back into the SDK.

So in short, making changes in Studio is perfectly safe and you won't create any headaches for anyone.

• Kerri Customisations made in Studio are packaged into a Studio plugin and customisations contributed using the SDK are packaged as SDK plugin. 

Files in the Studio plugin can  override files from the SDK plugin - meaning that you can accidentally alter work created by another team member if you don't understand how these plugins interact.

When a community page renders, files from the SDK plugin are loaded first followed by files from the Studio plugin.  If files in both plugins use the same file name, the version of the file in the Studio plugin is the file that is rendered in the community. If you accidentally override a component, page, skin, or asset contributed via the SDK, you can revert to the original SDK version.

Further, as MattV  said, if someone wishes to use the SDK again, they can fetch all the changes you made in Studio and copy them back into the SDK.

• Why is someone accepting this as solution on my behalf in less than 2 hours? Wouldn't it be better to let me do it once I confirmed everything was okay on my end? 

MohammedF

Hi Kerri. I'm a moderator, and this thread came to my notice. The comment looked like the perfect answer to your question, so I marked it as a solution as it can benefit others who might have a similar question and can confidently try the solution provided. I'm sorry; I should've waited for you to try it or might have encouraged you to mark it as a solution when you tried it. I have now removed the solution🙂

MattV
    Khoros Staff

When you make a change in Studio to a file that exists in SDK, the changes you make are the changes that are used (they "override" the SDK version). 

If somewhere down the line a developer comes along and decides they want to use the SDK again, they can fetch all the changes you made in Studio and copy them back into the SDK.

So in short, making changes in Studio is perfectly safe and you won't create any headaches for anyone.

• Kerri Customisations made in Studio are packaged into a Studio plugin and customisations contributed using the SDK are packaged as SDK plugin. 

Files in the Studio plugin can  override files from the SDK plugin - meaning that you can accidentally alter work created by another team member if you don't understand how these plugins interact.

When a community page renders, files from the SDK plugin are loaded first followed by files from the Studio plugin.  If files in both plugins use the same file name, the version of the file in the Studio plugin is the file that is rendered in the community. If you accidentally override a component, page, skin, or asset contributed via the SDK, you can revert to the original SDK version.

Further, as MattV  said, if someone wishes to use the SDK again, they can fetch all the changes you made in Studio and copy them back into the SDK.