Forum Discussion

13 years ago

Styling custom components

We just launched out community less than a month ago and for some reason our custom components don't have the rounded-corner box like all the content widgets and custom content blocks. Lithium Support's suggestion was "don't use custom components and just use custom content." Since that's the lamest response I hope I'll ever get, I was hoping someone could help me with any CSS they used within a custom component to get the same affect. I know what the CSS classes are but they don't seem to work in custom components. Anything someone can throw my way would be a huge help.

Kent

• Hi kentgilliam, try wrapping your custom component's content with the following HTML:

<div class="lia-panel lia-panel-standard">
      <div class="lia-decoration-border">
        <div class="lia-decoration-border-top"><div></div></div>
        <div class="lia-decoration-border-content">
          <div>
            <div class="lia-panel-heading-bar-wrapper">
              <div class="lia-panel-heading-bar"><span class="lia-panel-heading-bar-title">Panel Heading</span></div>
            </div>
            <div class="lia-panel-content-wrapper">
              <div class="lia-panel-content">
                <p>Your custom content here.</p>
                <p>Optional:</p>
                <div class="lia-text">
                  <p>(Content in this div will have margins and some text formatting because of the "lia-text" class.)</p>
                </div>
              </div>
            </div>
          </div>

</div> <div class="lia-decoration-border-bottom"><div></div></div> </div> </div>

You'll be replacing everything in the "lia-panel-content" div with your content, as well as editing "Panel Heading" to the panel heading title you want.

I believe the reason Custom Content was suggested is because it has the decorative panel wrapper by default, and can be toggled off with panel="false" in the XML. (See my reply here: http://lithosphere.lithium.com/t5/Customer-Connection-Private/Custom-Content-HTML-Codes/m-p/31385#M1651)

Hope that helps.

MoniqueL
    13 years ago

The support response you received isn't entirely off base. By default* yes, custom content areas will inherit the same panel (module/widget/whatever your preferred nomenclature is) border styling. In some cases these borders are actually images to ensure all browsers display rounded corners.

May I ask why you've chosen to add a custom component vs. custom content? Typically custom components were reserved for code (freemarker, JS, etc.) and content that would be dynamic in function & display but rarely if ever updated by hand once it's been created. Custom Content is typically used for announcements or other blurbs of text/images that can potentially be updated frequently by a community admin. Because this content lives in the community's database, you could update your custom content on production, on the fly without having to wait for a studio push and maintenance window to update your community.

So just to clarify custom component = lives in plugin, updates require a "push" and community restart , custom content = lives in the database, where production updates can be done instantly.

*As Chudo has already mentioned, the default panel styling can be toggled off with panel="false" in the XML view of the page inside studio

ChudoL
    Lithium Alumni (Retired)

Hi kentgilliam, try wrapping your custom component's content with the following HTML:

<div class="lia-panel lia-panel-standard">
      <div class="lia-decoration-border">
        <div class="lia-decoration-border-top"><div></div></div>
        <div class="lia-decoration-border-content">
          <div>
            <div class="lia-panel-heading-bar-wrapper">
              <div class="lia-panel-heading-bar"><span class="lia-panel-heading-bar-title">Panel Heading</span></div>
            </div>
            <div class="lia-panel-content-wrapper">
              <div class="lia-panel-content">
                <p>Your custom content here.</p>
                <p>Optional:</p>
                <div class="lia-text">
                  <p>(Content in this div will have margins and some text formatting because of the "lia-text" class.)</p>
                </div>
              </div>
            </div>
          </div>

</div> <div class="lia-decoration-border-bottom"><div></div></div> </div> </div>

You'll be replacing everything in the "lia-panel-content" div with your content, as well as editing "Panel Heading" to the panel heading title you want.

I believe the reason Custom Content was suggested is because it has the decorative panel wrapper by default, and can be toggled off with panel="false" in the XML. (See my reply here: http://lithosphere.lithium.com/t5/Customer-Connection-Private/Custom-Content-HTML-Codes/m-p/31385#M1651)

Hope that helps.

kentgilliam
      Mentor

Awesome! Exactly what I've been trying to find. You have any tips to get ActiveCast to render like a board or like the "Recent Topics" panel?

MoniqueL
        Lithium Alumni (Retired)

The support response you received isn't entirely off base. By default* yes, custom content areas will inherit the same panel (module/widget/whatever your preferred nomenclature is) border styling. In some cases these borders are actually images to ensure all browsers display rounded corners.

May I ask why you've chosen to add a custom component vs. custom content? Typically custom components were reserved for code (freemarker, JS, etc.) and content that would be dynamic in function & display but rarely if ever updated by hand once it's been created. Custom Content is typically used for announcements or other blurbs of text/images that can potentially be updated frequently by a community admin. Because this content lives in the community's database, you could update your custom content on production, on the fly without having to wait for a studio push and maintenance window to update your community.

So just to clarify custom component = lives in plugin, updates require a "push" and community restart , custom content = lives in the database, where production updates can be done instantly.

*As Chudo has already mentioned, the default panel styling can be toggled off with panel="false" in the XML view of the page inside studio