Forum Discussion

ttadej
Advisor
8 years ago

Subscription REST call fails as admin

I'm creating a custom component for a subscribe button. The button needs to exist on a QandAQuestionPage and subscribe users to topic changes (side note: still unclear on thread vs message subscriptions - there seems to be no documentation on the difference). The button needs to do the following on page load:

• For anonymous users, add disabled class to button
  • For logged in users, check if a subscription already exists
    • If so, assign custom text to the button i.e. "unsubscribe" and assign click event to unsubscribe from thread
    • If not subscribed, button will have the text "subscribe" and click event will subscribe the user

I run into problems when I try and add a subscription. Here is the rough code:

<#assign message = page.context.thread.topicMessage! />
<#assign topicId = message.uniqueId! />

<#assign subscription = rest("/threads/id/${topicId!}/subscriptions/users/self/type/email").subscription[0]!/>
<#assign userIsAnonymous = user.anonymous! />

<#assign buttonStateClass = "button-default" />
<#assign buttonText = text.format("label.subscribe_to_label") />
<#assign buttonSubscribeAction = "add" />

<#--Check user logged in state and subscription status-->
<#if userIsAnonymous!>
  <#assign buttonStateClass = "button-disabled" />
<#else>
  <#if !subscription.@null??>
    <#assign buttonStateClass = "button-active" />
    <#assign buttonText = text.format("label.custom.subscribed_to_label") />
    <#assign buttonSubscribeAction = "remove" />
  </#if>
</#if>

<button id="watch-topic-button" class="${buttonStateClass!}" data-action="${buttonSubscribeAction!}">${buttonText!}</button>

<@liaAddScript>
  ;(function($) {
    $(function() {

$("#watch-topic-button").on("click", function () {
        var action = $(this).data("action");
        post(action);
      });

function post(action) {
        $.post("/restapi/vc/threads/id/"+${topicId}+"/subscriptions/users/self/"+action+"?subscription.type=email",
        function(data){
          console.log("success?: ", action, data);
        });
      }

});
  })(LITHIUM.jQuery);
</@liaAddScript>

Checking the subscription is successful, but adding a subscription results in a Error.. in the XML response is an error code 303. When I try to hit the URL directly I get a 504 error "Method 'get' is not supported off of node 'thread_subscription_context.users.self.add'"

I was looking at code from discussions like:

https://community.lithium.com/t5/Developers-Discussion/I-need-a-way-to-add-a-subription-to-a-board-for-many-users-at/m-p/171651#M6837

I'm an admin user and copied this code from discussions here.

Any ideas? Is there a better way to do this?

Thanks

• Hi,

Did you try cloning the 'Subscribe' option from the 'Topic Options' drop-down and display as a button?

Try this - 

//Add Subscribe and unsubscribe button in ForumPage, for example:
    if(LITHIUM.CommunityJsonObject.Page.name == "ForumPage"){

var element = $(".lia-link-navigation.addBoardUserEmailSubscription").clone();
    if(element[0] != undefined){
    element = '<div class="custom_board_Subscription">'+ element[0].outerHTML +'</div>';
    $(".lia-menu-bar-buttons .lia-menu-navigation").prepend(element);
    }
    else{
    var element = $(".lia-link-navigation.removeBoardUserEmailSubscription").clone();
    element = '<div class="custom_board_Subscription">'+ element[0].outerHTML +'</div>';
    $(".lia-menu-bar-buttons .lia-menu-navigation").prepend(element);
    }
    }

Hope this helps!

Thanks,

Srujana.

ttadej
      Advisor

Forgot I had posted this question. I ended up creating an endpoint to handle subscriptions for both boards and individual threads. The endpoint takes in the following parameters:

• id
      • action (add/remove)
      • type (threads/board)

Then it goes something like this:

  <#if actionParam == "add">
            <#assign response = rest("/${typeParam!?url('UTF-8')}/id/${idParam!?url('UTF-8')}/subscriptions/users/self/add?subscription.type=email") />
          <#elseif actionParam == "remove">
              <#assign response = rest("/${typeParam!?url('UTF-8')}/id/${idParam!?url('UTF-8')}/subscriptions/users/self/type/email/remove") />
          <#else>
            <#-- handle error -->

My original issue had to do with permissions. In general we've found it is best to do any type of "POST" in an endpoint using ajax.

gstelang
        Mentor

Hey ttadej That's useful.

Is this for subscribing to a label? For example, I create a post and give it a label "Customer Research" and I want to subscribe to this label. Is that something I can do?