Forum Discussion

Kev_B
Advisor
6 years ago

user_badges blank?

Hi,

I'm attempting to create a page to show off our Superusers, and I wanted to pull their yearly SU badges to show off how long they've been in the program.

I'm using the API browser in Studio to make sure I've got the right data before coding the next step, but the user_badges data for the users I'm searching is non-existent. The profile I'm viewing has earned 9 badges, so I'm baffled why this is blank.

API call:

SELECT user_badges FROM users WHERE id = '238'

Result:

{
  "status" : "success",
  "message" : "",
  "http_code" : 200,
  "data" : {
    "type" : "users",
    "list_item_type" : "user",
    "size" : 1,
    "items" : [ {
      "type" : "user",
      "user_badges" : {
        "type" : "user",
        "items" : [ ]
      }
    } ]
  },
  "metadata" : { }
}v

Appreciate any input on this, am I missing a constraint? Is this a bug? I've checked the documentation and the query seems to be correct. I've even done similar in the past and the query matches what I did there (that code isn't currently live for me to verify if this is just a problem with API Browser or Studio).

Thanks in advance 🙂

• Hi Kev, I looked at this one for quite a while. This looks like an API browser issue, as the following API calls return the right data, even without credentials:

• /api/2.0/search?q=SELECT+user_badges+FROM+users+WHERE+id+%3D%27238%27
    • /api/2.0/users/238

You may also notice the API browser is showing the collection with type: "user" instead of type: "user_badge".

Could you try putting the query in a simple component? Does the component get the right data when viewed by the user ("Lemmings")? How about other users?

By design, we allow a user to learn about badges they haven't earned yet, but only when viewing their own badges. To make that work, the backend has different approaches for getting the data, depending on who is making the query & where. It's possible there could be an issue in just one of those approaches.

AndrewF
    Khoros Oracle

Hi Kev, I looked at this one for quite a while. This looks like an API browser issue, as the following API calls return the right data, even without credentials:

• /api/2.0/search?q=SELECT+user_badges+FROM+users+WHERE+id+%3D%27238%27
    • /api/2.0/users/238

You may also notice the API browser is showing the collection with type: "user" instead of type: "user_badge".

Could you try putting the query in a simple component? Does the component get the right data when viewed by the user ("Lemmings")? How about other users?

By design, we allow a user to learn about badges they haven't earned yet, but only when viewing their own badges. To make that work, the backend has different approaches for getting the data, depending on who is making the query & where. It's possible there could be an issue in just one of those approaches.

Kev_B
      Advisor

Thanks AndrewF 

I'll test in a component over the next few days when I have a little more time, but checking your URL search query returned results for the user so the data is clearly there.

Thanks for the help ğŸ˜ƒ

Kev_B
      Advisor

AndrewF 

I've got data when putting it in a component. The only bit I'm struggling with now is accessing the data items in user_badges.

When I code:

user.user_badges.size

I'm given the correct count based on the data. What I want to do now is access the data for the badges.

Using a <#list> didn't seem to work so I've tried delving into individual badge items 3 different ways:

user.user_badges.data.items[0].title
      user.user_badges.items[0].title
      user.user_badges.items[0].badge.title

For reference, I'm trying to pull the data into a list as follows:

<#list user.user_badges.items as badge>
         ${badge.title}
      </#list>

This is more trial and error than anything (and most likely my error). I've done similar before but have run a query specific to user_badges in user for specific ID. What I'm working with now is querying from a list (SELECT xxx FROM users WHERE login IN [list] etc) so it's new territory for me.

Any suggestions appreciated.

Kev_B
        Advisor

Not to worry - I missed a level in the data structure, my list now works:

<#list user.user_badges.items as badge>
          ${badge.badge.title}
        </#list>
  • Kev_B,

You are using the correct API to get user badges.

Issue here is the user you are checking doesn't have any badges.

Most of the time it happens when user is created directly through admin and not registered from the community registration process.

Try using different user id  in your api request and see if it puts the same or different result in response.

Kev_B
      Advisor

Thanks Parshant sadly I've used a few different users now and see the same result.

The user was created through the registration process as it's one of my accounts and I remember going through the process.

Any other ideas?