Forum Discussion

tmarshall
Advisor
9 years ago

User Sso Registration Page - user-sso-registration-form

Hi -

I'm trying to understand what others have done with the user-sso-registration-form? There was a post about a year ago, about trying to pop the registration page in a modal window, http://community.lithium.com/t5/Developers-Discussion/user-sso-registration-form-in-a-modal/m-p/202800#M9050, but there is no response?

It appears to update the user-sso-registration-form that professional services are needed, but didn't know what others have done to improve the standard form or have used Lithium professional services?

Example: Today

Possible new form (new modal, new window, etc)

Would this require professional service, or just CSS updates?

DougS
    Khoros Oracle

I don't think I've seen that as a requirement before (I must have missed that other post you linked to). I know we never developed a modal version of that form because we didn't think there would be a use-case for it (but then we were only thinking about a flow where the entire browser left the community and came back).

With the SSO registration form, you are coming back into the community from the SSO provider site, so if the entire browser has been redirected, it wouldn't make sense for a modal to pop up when the entire browser is redirected back to the site.

If you want the SSO redirect to happen inside of an iframe, you could write a custom component that starts the SSO flow inside of an iframe in a modal pop-up (you could probably use the @Modal directive to pop up the component that contained the iframe that kicks off your SSO flow) and then it would come back to the SSO registration form (still in the iframe) when your SSO flow redirects back to the site.  I don't think Lithium has an out-of-the-box component that you could use for this, so you'd need to write something custom. You could probably write it all using Lithium Studio, but you might want to engage with professional services to get the benefit of their SSO expertise here (there may be facets to this that I don't understand or have not considered yet).

I hope that helps, and would like to learn more about your use-case if you care to share it.

-Doug

tmarshall
      Advisor

Cheers DougS for the response. I was looking for creative ways on what other people have done to update the registration form which is how I came across this old post. From what I understand to update the registration form for SSO would require the use of professional services. We are using SSO for people to sign into the community, and it works great but the look and feel needs to be updated. Today people are passed to a page with the 4 fields on it but does not match out looks/feel. You can see in the screen shot the header/footer are also included, but in our design it is just the 4 fields that appear with the logo. We would like to update the look and feel of this page to mimic/match a new look and feel of the page they are being referred which is responsive and might be considered a modal/popup window the customer is using to register as it works for both desktop and mobile. Is this something the new responsive design could address from Lithium? Can a page be designed like this?

I was not sure of best approach to accomplish this task to maintain the look and feel. Do we have to use professional services or can we design something to a new look and feel without professional services? Hopefully this makes sense, and I've elaborated enough so you understand what we are trying to accomplish. Thanks again for the insight on the best approach to tackle this task.

Thanks,

Tim

tmarshall
        Advisor

Hey DougS,

It looks like we can use an API to create a user account.

If we enabled our own API to make an account who does this work with the existing SSO process that Lithium has? Do we have to disable this to use this API?

The existing SSO process uses this standard page and has the ability to pass the referring URL through and back to Lithium. i.e. an unauthenticated user clicks on a post, clicks reply, hits post, they are taken to the SSO login page, if they do not have account they register or login, and lastly brought back to the the post page to 'success' your post has been posted.

We have figured out the API to make the user, and feel we can set a cookie to redirect new users back to their initial page. Hopefully we can also pass their 'post' too with this same cookie? It looks like when same same user name is used an error is returned so we should be able to display this to the user. I assuming we can also pass a check for accepting the terms, and the other 2 fields(Language/TimeZone). Is there anything else we need to consider if we go the API route versus updating the look/feel of the out of the box community SSO page?

Thanks,

Tim