Forum Discussion

cjdinger
Leader
10 years ago

Using ActiveCast from external site: requires anonymous API Read access?

Hi,

I'm experimenting with using ActiveCast content from our support site (not Lithium hosted).  I find that the content renders only if I grant "Make REST API calls with read access" in the Default role.  I guess I thought that ActiveCast had a special incantation that wouldn't need this.

Can someone confirm that Yes, indeed -- we must grant this privilege in the Default (anonymous) role in order to use ActiveCast on another site?

Thanks,

Chris

cjdinger
      Leader
      Varun, thanks for this confirmation.

It would be nice if we had a way in JavaScript to authenticate as a sort of "API user" instead of having it open to all callers with read access. I guess with it set so that any Guest can call these APIs, we'll have to watch the metrics for potential spikes in use.

Chris
      • cjdinger - You might want to have a look at these definitions.

REST API Calls - Lithium count one REST API Call each time our servers receive an API call request.

ActiveCast Calls -  Lithium offers a variety of embeddable ActiveCast widgets including Reviews, Ask a Question, Polls, and Latest Threads.
        They count one ActiveCast Call each time an ActiveCast widget loads in a web page. If a page contains two ActiveCast widgets, they count two ActiveCast Calls when a browser loads the page.