Forum Discussion

3 years ago

Using Hard Bounce Info to unsubscribe people in their IDP and other connected email marketing tools?

I'm curious if anyone has implemented a way to use hard bounces to unsubscribe people from their community or even back to their database of record if they're using SSO?

People join our site of which the community is a portion of what we offer them. I notice that some of the emails bounce back either because the person has disabled or deleted the account. Another portion of the people entered invalid email addresses. I am wondering if there was a way to use the hard bounce information from SendGrid or whatever platform is sending the community emails to inform our IDP that the email address is no longer working so we should unsubscribe them from receiving emails. Ideally by feeding this up to our IDP it would then also inform our email marketing tools to stop sending messages until the person has updated their account and provided a valid email address. 

Ideally I'd also like to make accounts that have failures switch to an "inactive state" if notifications are hard bouncing but not ban them incase they log back in and update their email address to a valid one. This will give me a sense of how many users go inactive. We do use SSO so I don't think we could set them to an unverified state if email bounces.