Forum Discussion

5 months ago

Webhook with Skilljar to automate badge granting

Hey community!

I'm trying to set up a webhook from Skilljar to Khoros that would trigger when a Skilljar user completes a Skilljar certification. Ideally when this trigger happens in Skilljar, a Khoros Community badge would be granted on a user's corresponding Khoros profile to show that they've earned their certification.

I believe I may technically need to set up a custom role to grant the badge, so technically the webhook would trigger a role grant, and then the role grant would grant the badge.

If anyone has ever set something like this up before, please let me know!

• I actually did something very similar a while ago for the Alteryx community, if I remember correctly they used "classmarker" for their certification exams and I integrated with that platform to grant roles and through them badges. There was additional complex logic because certifications depended on each other, e.g. someone who doesn't have "Level 1" can't do a "Level 2" certification ("duh" you might think, but yeah, that needs to be implemented 😉) and those certifications would also expire after a pre-defined amount of time which required additional logic. It was a  fairly complex project, definitely not something I would be able to explain in a forum post. 

But your general idea of how this will go is correct.

You would set up a "webook" that is an endpoint in Khoros terms which would receive a request that someone has completed a certification. What might be a problem is that you need to map Khoros users to Skilljar users if they are not already somehow linked via an SSO id or some common identifier. E.g. you need a way to determine which Khoros user did the certification when you receive the webhook request to give that user a role.