Forum Discussion

11 years ago

Welcome email for SSO

We are using SSO for login and we want to trigger an email when a user successfully creates a username for the community. 

Can you please provide information on how we can trigger an email upon a specified event (ie, username creation) and use Lithium's mail server to do this?

Thanks! 

PaoloT
    11 years ago

Hi amanda_optly 

yes - at the moment there isn't a way to trigger a custom e-mail that is exposed via the Lithium REST API or within the Freemarker context objects available in Studio out of the box. You can get in touch with Services to review your requirements and see if there is another way to implement this as a customization within the back-end.

Another possibility that was suggested is to leverage the rank notification e-mails:you could create a rank that is only assigned to newly registered users, and include your message there.

When using SSO normally all the e-mail communication related to user login and account creation is managed by that system. You can always submit a customer idea for either adding a way of triggering ad-hoc e-mails or adding a built in e-mail trigger for the SSO registration.

Hope this helps!

• Hi Amanda,

Unfortunately currently "User picks community username during registration" is not an email template trigger event.

Maybe subscribing to the community event "UserCreated" via REST API might be an option, but this is really far fetched. Maybe Lithium can shed some light on

1. when this event is triggered
    2. there is functionality to send custom emails via the community mail infrastructure
  • My workaround for this is very manual - twice a week, I download all new registrants from the User Report and import into Marketo to send a welcome email.

It's manual and sort of painful to have to do, but it works! 

PaoloT
    Lithium Alumni (Retired)
    Hi
    As far as I am aware there isn't an API to trigger an email in Lithium other than the ones available in Studio. There may be further options availale but this would require further analysis and potentially a Services engagement.

Other than that, it could also be possible to subscribe to the event on the API as suggested by Claudius. But the e-mail would have to be sent externally.

Regards,
      amanda_optly
      Mentor

Okay so just to make sure I am understanding this all correctly, there is *no* way to trigger an email with the Lihium server based on username creation. That seems crazy to me, there has to be other people using SSO doing this right? 

Can you provide some additional details on how we can use the API event? How are other customers triggering custom emails?

PaoloT
        Lithium Alumni (Retired)

Hi amanda_optly 

yes - at the moment there isn't a way to trigger a custom e-mail that is exposed via the Lithium REST API or within the Freemarker context objects available in Studio out of the box. You can get in touch with Services to review your requirements and see if there is another way to implement this as a customization within the back-end.

Another possibility that was suggested is to leverage the rank notification e-mails:you could create a rank that is only assigned to newly registered users, and include your message there.

When using SSO normally all the e-mail communication related to user login and account creation is managed by that system. You can always submit a customer idea for either adding a way of triggering ad-hoc e-mails or adding a built in e-mail trigger for the SSO registration.

Hope this helps!

• This is a bit shocking that there isn't anything to welcome new members to the community. The New member rank sounds like the best option under the circumstances.  When we were on Jive it happened with all members via SSO on first login.

• PaoloT wrote

How would you actually implement that? I can only find a generic email template for rank changes. This email would be sent whenever there was a rank change. But I only want to send a welcome email to new users. For other rank changes, I'd like to have a general rank change email sent out again.

Akenefick
      Genius

waldemarhelm you can add some conditional statements to your email template so different ranks receive different messages.

For example

#if (${rankName} == "New Member")
          Welcome message goes here
      #elseif (${rankName} == "Highest Rank")
          Special congrats message goes here
      #else
          Your original default rank change message goes here
      #end

The #elseif is optional and you would replace "New Member" or "Highest Rank" with your actual rank names.