Forum Discussion

FranzG
Genius
7 years ago

What does Lithium use for Anonymous user geo location based on IP address?

Hi everyone,

We are looking to implement country detection for users based on IP address and looking at the various options to accomplish this including third party services.   But I know that Lithium must be doing this as well in some form based on some of the reports available in Lithium Social Intelligence.  This leads me to these questions:

• How is Lithium obtaining geo for anonymous users today?
  • Is the country data they are capturing for anonymous users available via context objects or possible session variables?  API?

Would be great to find out if this is already supported before we implement something with a third party service.

Thanks!

• FranzG - Unfortunately, lithium does not provide any context object for geo location. 

Even for the logged in user, you only can get location which they set on there profile e.g coutry etc.

There is a context object for the IP address which you can use to get geo location from third party. 

FranzG
    6 years ago

Just to follow up on this thread.  We worked with Lithium Professional Services to implement a new context method to obtain the user's geo data based on their IP address.   So if anyone is interested in getting this functionality, I can confirm it is available via Professional Services.   I would imagine it would be a pretty quick project as it's been done now. :)

• FranzG - Unfortunately, lithium does not provide any context object for geo location. 

Even for the logged in user, you only can get location which they set on there profile e.g coutry etc.

There is a context object for the IP address which you can use to get geo location from third party.