Forum Discussion

4 years ago

Where to get started on Freemaker?

Hello everyone,

Hope to find you well! 

I'm currently taking a course on HTML, CSS, API and so on. However, there's no module for Freemaker that is what we mostly use in the community and components. I would like to learn more so I could code components and further understand how to use studio.

Do you have any tips? Documents that could help?

• I have just started making my first freemarker components and customazations. It is a slow process. But its cool, I would say take all the courses and go for it!!

You will need to have good CSS / HTML skills, and be at home in Google Chrome Dev Tools (elements, console). This will take some time to get experienced in.

Knowledge of the DOM and experience with basic programming is highly recommended.

First you need that background.

Then a very very good understanding of Studio and the relations between Page, Quilts, Components, Layouts, XML format, CSS, Wrapper is something you will probably need first before diving into Freemarker.

adriana4u
      Maven

hello Hoekstra_VFZ ,

thank you for your reply it really makes me enthusiastic to experience and learn more! Can you tell me where you have learned the courses of freemaker? I haven't found much. I'm learning more and more of css and html but takes time! But I would love to be 100% comfortable with studio. 

Thank you so much!

BR,

Adriana Afonso

Hoekstra_VFZ
        Advisor

You know, as far as i know there is no entry level course for Freemarker. There are a few sources of good documentation, the best 2 are allready mentioned here. I learned a bit from those.

Being a javascript developer I can make sense of this documentation, and I can understand the given code snippet examples.

I don't think learning Freemarker is doable without some basic programming courses first (PHP, Javascript for instance).