Forum Discussion

jchen
Boss
11 years ago

widget could not be displayed (custom widget)

Hi, all! We have a custom component, and when the user is logged out, we see a "This widget could not be displayed." message. I checked with Support and they said to make sure 

<#if !user.anonymous && (tkbBoards.board?size-1>0)> is in the code before the API call. 

Any idea on what else might be wrong? I'd appreciate any help!

• Hi @jchen,

Sorry, my bad ... typo there ... it should be this (without the "/" in the back of first line)

<#if !user.anonymous>
    ... rest of code ...
    </#if>

(Just FYI, the error description said line 1, column 22 ... that means a typo on the first line, 22nd character)

Let us know if that works out for you

• Hello there, 

Actually i faced this problem many many times, but at the end i found that there's no error in the code, there's no error at all, this error caused by a permissions limitation! all you have to do is changing the permissions in the "Admin" tab, and then everything should go as you expected.

:smileyhappy:

Inactive User
    I've gotten that error a number of times if there's some type of freemarker error in your code. Most of the time you get the crazy yellow/red long error message but not always. Maybe go through your code line/block by line/block and comment in/out things as you go through in order to test what will print out to the page without error?
    JasonL
    Lithium Alumni (Retired)

hi jchen 

Are you very certain that the <#if !user.anonymous> check is before any REST API call?

Typically, you get  "widget could not be displayed" if there's a template exception. For instance, you're making a REST API as an anonymous user and your permission settings does not allow. 

Hence, i concur with Support feedback, you need to put the <#if !user.anonymous> check prior to the REST API call

But i'm a little intrigue with your check - tkbBoards.board?size because that seems indicate  that you're REST API call and assigning to variable tkbBoards. 

Look out for statements like this:

<#assign tkbBoards = rest("/xxxx/...") />

If you do see this line, you need to put <#if !user.anonymous> prior to this line.

(not exactly sure what your code does but you should probably separate this <#if tkbBoards.boards?size check till after the REST API call?)

Hope that helps

• Can you please post your code here, not the entire code, but just a snippet where you have used this condition. This usually is the case when the users don't have the permissions to make the API calls, other than that, I will need to have a look at your code.

jchen
      Boss

Here's the beginning of my code

<#assign tkbBoards = rest("/categories/id/demandforce-tkb/boards/nested?restapi.response_style=view").boards/>

<#if !user.anonymous && (tkbBoards.board?size-1>0)>
      <#assign boardIdList=[] />
      <#list tkbBoards.board as board>
      	<#assign boardId = board.id/>
      	<#assign boardIdList = boardIdList + [boardId] />
      </#list>

I tried adding <#if !user.anonymous && (tkbBoards.board?size-1>0)> before the first line and got this 

Freemarker template 'preview' parsing failed:

ParseException:Parsing error in template "preview" in line 55, column 16:
      Unclosed #if when the end of the file was reached.
        HaidongG
        Lithium Alumni (Retired)

Hi jchen ,

since you have put 

<#if !user.anonymous && (tkbBoards.board?size-1>0)>

on the top of your code, you may have to put

</#if>

to the end of the code.