Forum Discussion

SuzieH
Khoros Alumni (Retired)
4 years ago

Would you like to see developer-centric meetups?

Hello!
I'm looking for some input/feedback on the idea of virtual, developer-centric meetups around Khoros platform APIs. The goal would be to extend our Khoros Developer community experience and share ideas and solutions past what we can share in a forum.

Without committing myself to anything yet, I'd like to get a sense of interest in such events and what these events might look like to you.

This would be a simple proof-of-concept, virtual meetup to start.

I can imagine these meetups consisting of things like:

• Discussions around a particular feature API (e.g., Community Bulk Data API, The Care Automation Framework, the Marketing Salesforce integration)
  • User-submitted topics
  • Meet and Greet with Khoros Engineers and Services gurus
  • Khoros APIs for Community Managers (how you're using the API and what the API can do for you)

Why am I asking?

It's been a while since Khoros included a Developer track at Engage - not since Lithium's legacy LiNC user conference. Personally, I miss it. We've also not had any official Developer Meetup program.

I had an opportunity to moderate a Networking session during Khoros Engage this year. While the session was directed toward Community Managers, I was interested to see how much of the discussion drifted to Khoros APIs and what API integrations could do to extend and enhance the benefits of Khoros applications.

I liked the relaxed format of the discussion, the networking, and the examples/solutions that surfaced during the session. I think the participants enjoyed the experience as well, and I'd like to see that momentum and goodwill continue.

Cheers, and thanks!

(I'll be posting this in a few key Altas forums, so you might see this pop up a few times in notifications.)

• This would be amazing and unbelievably helpful!  

(I was a little disappointed to find that there were no Developer tracks in Khoros Engage since this was a fairly large part of JiveWorld back in the day, so I had assumed Engage would be similar.)

SuzieH
      Khoros Alumni (Retired)

Thanks jeffshurtliff. Any opinion on the type of discussions/events you'd like to see outside of Engage? The type/format of the content/discussion?

• Hi SuzieH ,

Here are some off-the-cuff thoughts of what I think would be super useful:

Automation and Customizing the UX
        I think it would be awesome to have discussions around creative ways to handle administrative tasks or UI functionality using custom components/macros/functions/endpoints, for example:

• Access control and user/role management
        • Group hub membership
        • Serving/promoting personalized content to users based on personas, interests, products they own, etc.
        • Navigation and menus
        • Automation around content curation and publishing, such as:
          • Systematic (but silent) tagging and labeling
          • "Staging" pre-release content and then systematically "launching" it
        • Moderator tools and automations

Best Practices
        It would be extremely helpful to have discussions (with examples) around development best practices that go beyond and/or complements what is in the documentation, such as:

• Developing with performance in mind
        • Recommendations (beyond just using endpoints) for cutting down on the amount of REST calls
        • Recommendations around user, component and app caching
        • Using the SDK and managing collaboration with multiple dev teams (e.g. VCS)

Deep Dives
        I'd love to see some deep dive sessions around different API endpoints/functionality (e.g. updating/moving messages, handling attachments, managing events, etc.), FreeMarker (e.g. a working session around creating high-level macros) and using jQuery/AngularJS within FreeMarker including the different undocumented methods/functionalities for LITHIUM.jQuery and when to use them.

Integrations
        It would be very enlightening to find out how people have built and implemented integrations with various third-party systems and platforms.  (For example, we are currently implementing a custom integration with Madcap Flare, and I'm sure other customers have built some pretty cool integrations into other systems.)

I hope this helps!