Forum Discussion

packet
Mentor
12 years ago

Can REST be used to subscribe a list of users to a board?

I create a lot of private boards in my community that are active for a short period of time in support of some type of business activity and then go away. It is relatively easy to set up the board and then bulk grant the users the correct role to enable the board in their view. But, where I'm struggling is that we want all of the members that we've granted access to the board to also subscribe (email) to the board. That way they are sure receive all of its content (pushed via email) as well as they can quickly respond to topics via the email interface. 

I've sifted through the REST API documentation and only found calls that allow the 'caller' to subscribe via the "self" identifier.

For example:

http://community.lithium.com/community-name/restapi/vc/boards/id/video_cards/subscriptions/users/self/add

Even if I were to float a topic to the top of the board with instructons to "click this link to subscribe," this call will not work for my community because only Admin and Moderator roles have access to submit REST calls. (That and the fact that MOST of the participatns would conviniently forget to click the link and then complain that there is no activity in the board! I'm sure you know the type... :smileyhappy:)

Is there a similar REST call that would allow me to subscribe a target user to a board?

Thanks. 

Packet

DougS
    Khoros Oracle

Hi packet,

Unfortunately there is no REST call that you can use to auto-subscribe anyone other than the user you are logged into the REST API as ("self").  If you would like to see this added to the REST API, or if you would like to see other in-app functionality (maybe functionality to auto-subscribe all users with access to a board, or with a certain role, to the board), please submit it as an Idea on our idea board: 

http://lithosphere.lithium.com/t5/Ideas/idb-p/Lithium_Ideas

Thanks,

-Doug