Forum Discussion

cblown
Boss
12 years ago

Mobile navigation experience different on iOS vs Android?

We've worked around this in the past but as customers expand their Communities by adding Ideas and Blog we've noticed some strange behavour with the main navigation component - community-links.

Its fair enough to show a different "mobile view" based on a mobile user-agent, however showing different views based on different mobiles is really annoying.. reminds me of browser sniffing practices back in Netscape 4 days :) Yes I'm that old :)

This is with a user-agent of iPhone 4 (same experience across iOS mobiles)

Screen Shot 2013-09-26 at 4.19.52 PM.png

This is with user-agent of Android (same experience across most Android mobiles)

Screen Shot 2013-09-26 at 4.19.52 PM.png

• I don't understand the rationale, but currently Lithium serves up slightly different versions of the mobile site depending on the device. It does this by examining the WURFL

The primary difference is the number of tabs. When I last checked (in December last year) Blackberry and IOS have 3, whilst everything else has 2 (this may have changed by now however).

I'm not aware of any other structural differences. However, there are apparently slight differences in the CSS for devices with the following WURFL IDs: blackberry_generic, generic_ms_phone_os7, generic_windows_phone_os_7, netfront_v3, and nokia_gener

There's a useful page with information about the mobile site here: http://lithosphere.lithium.com/t5/documentation/Admin-Guide-Lithium-Mobile-FAQ/ta-p/5885