Forum Discussion

jaikumar1
Mentor
8 years ago

Archive old discussion

Hi,

I want to archive the old discussion. Could you please suggest some best practice?

As i have done some research in the community and they have suggested.

• Create new Archive category.
  • Make the category as private.
  • Move the old discussion into that Archive category.
  • Use robots.txt file to add archive category and which help to avoid google indexing.

So please confirm me, the steps to follow? Also i need to make that process as automatic and how we can achieve that?

• jaikumar1-

You already have mentioned all the steps to Archive old discussion. Just adding few more things to it.

If you want archive a forum discussions. You will need to create a new board(forum) inside Archive category, as you can not directly move any discussion inside a category. Similarly you will need to create an idea board for archived ideas.

Also if user try to visit archived discussion, you can create a custom page to show users that "This post has been archived" and prompt any new link where user can visit.

• jaikumar1
    There is another way you can do it. Some other customers have done it this way.
    - Create some custom coding on Forum Topic Page (the thread page) which will hide all the CTA buttons (including kudo, reply, accept as solution etc) for old posts (eg. a year old). Also display some information on top of the Forum Topic Page to say something like "This thread is now archived and closed to new comments. Some of the links provided in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question please post a new topic."

The benefit of this way is that people can still see this post via search, and there is no need to maintain the old posts which free up a lot of time of Community Manager.