Forum Discussion

7 years ago

Assign one user Role to multiple category

Hi,

i have 100 category and out of that 50 of them requires special access. I have created a role on the main root. Now how do i add that role to all the 50 community? Do i need to do it manually by going to all the 50 community and add the role?

Please help.

Thanks in advance!

• rpanda2007: As per my knowledge the only way is the creating the role manually for all these 50 categories.

If my post is helpful and answers your question, please give "Kudos" and "Accept it as a Solution."

Thanks & Regards,
    Abhishek Illindra

•  

I would agree with AbhishekIlindra

I have tried to think of another way but it seems you need to assign them on all the category levels you want access or try it the other way around.
    Perhaps the below article is helpful.

Good luck and happy holidays.

Wendy

https://community.lithium.com/t5/Operational/Best-practices-roles-and-permissions/ta-p/108813

• Create roles at the community level, and then create category- or board-level versions of the same roles if you need them.

The purpose of a category- or board-level role is to override the community-level settings for a specific category or board. Users who have the community-level role also get the permission settings from the lower-level roles. The names of the roles at all three levels must be exactly the same—including capitalization and spacing— for the connection between roles to work. For example, Vip and VIP are not the same. Nor are Mod-Cat  and Mod Cat. The lower-level settings only apply when users are at that level. For example, a category-level permission only applies to users in that category. Elsewhere in the community, community-level permissions are in effect.

• Always assign roles at the community level rather than at lower levels.

This allows you to manage roles and permissions from a single location, rather than having to go to each category, for example, and listing the users who have a role assigned to them. Users get the access allowed by the community-wide settings as well as the category-level or board-level override settings for specific categories or boards. The category- or board-level roles typically give users access to areas or features that are off-limits to the rest of the community.

• Always use roles to assign permissions.

The system is designed to track membership in a role, not individual permission settings. As a result, you can easily determine which roles a user has or which users are assigned to the same role. The system is not designed to tell you which users have permission to rate messages, for example. Treat individual permission settings as a strictly short-term emergency tactic.