Forum Discussion

iburtally
Helper
8 years ago

Environment to test API Calls

Hi,

I am not a customer of Lithium community yet.  I am trying to build some API integration.  How can I get a sandbox/developer environment to test my API integrations?

Thanks,

Irshad

• iburtally - Well, this is bit of a catch 22 here, you need to have a Lithium sandbox first to run these and that can be provided by Lithium itself. Maybe, get a demo instance but it might require an agreement or something.

• iburtally - Well, this is bit of a catch 22 here, you need to have a Lithium sandbox first to run these and that can be provided by Lithium itself. Maybe, get a demo instance but it might require an agreement or something.

iburtally
      Helper

Bummer!  It does not make it easy to write integrations with the platform.  Having proper integration is the best way for this platform to take off.

ClaudiusH
    Khoros Alumni (Retired)

Hi iburtally and welcome to the Lithium Community,

Are you able to share some more details on the integration you are looking to create? In particular: What API calls would you need to perform? Would you need dummy data populated on the community to work with?

Depending on your answers we can find the right contact for you.

iburtally
      Helper

I am trying to build an integration with Slack.  When new post are created, it send it to a Slack channel.  And if the API can support, when people replies to a thread about the post in the Slack channel, post the reply into the post on lithium.  

If it has dummy data or even empty, I can test.  I can create dummy data if it is empty.

ClaudiusH
        Khoros Alumni (Retired)

Interesting idea. btw. the first part of it is already possible via the board RSS functionality in combination with Slack's RSS bot. I'm using it to be notified about new posts in parts of the Lithium Community I'm interested in:

Slack RSS bot new community topic notifications

For the second part of posting a reply back: I woudl carefully think through if this is indeed the best experience since readers are likely to miss the full context of the thread if they only view one isolated reply in the Slack message. Not even speaking about the missing option to kudo / mark as solved and the hassle to get the authentication passed.

That being said: As a member here on the Lithium Community you have read access to the API, so you could already build the first part of it against this instance. Maybe our AndyK could later on even grant you a special role granting API write permissions and a playground board for you to write into. I doubt we can that easily spin up a sandbox community for you.