Forum Discussion

zachm
Mentor
13 years ago

Gamification progress bar

Hey everyone,

I'm looking for people that might have created a custom component in their community that has tied in with a CRM tool such as Salesforce or something else.  What I am looking for is to make a status bar for things such as number of posts, solutions provided, ideas submitted and so on. Once the community members have reached a certain goal they would get a badge or an achievement. I have had a few ideas that I'll list below and an image that helps explain my idea. I just want to see if anyone has done this in their communities and how they did it, what they used, other details. If it isn't even an option then that is good to know too :mantongue:

5 Solutions Provided: Smarty Pants

15 Solutions Provided: Einstien

10 Kudos: Cool kid

25 Kudos: Charismatic

7 posts: Chatter box

20 posts: Socialite

1 idea: thoughtful

4 ideas: innovator

The image below is borrowed from fitocracy. It's a great workout website but has awesome gamification system.

These are all rough ideas but I think that it's a good start. Ideas, words of encouragement, skeptical critisism are all encouraged.

• Hi Zack,

I would be interested to hear, if you found a solution to your question since nobody on the forums seems to have an answer. Anything new on that topic?

Kind regards,

Martin

KaelaC
      Lithium Alumni (Retired)

We have done something similar to this as a customization through professional services.  In our workflow, we created profile fields for the user that indciate the level of "complete-ness" they have acheived.  Then, each time the user logs in, we update that field with any changes.

Another method would be to do the calculation on the fly.  This has greater responsiveness (you give a kudo, your bar ticks up) but can be heavier on the rest calls as you will need to do the calculation everytime the page is loaded. 

edgiansante
        Expert

KaelaC wrote:

We have done something similar to this as a customization through professional services.  In our workflow, we created profile fields for the user that indciate the level of "complete-ness" they have acheived.  Then, each time the user logs in, we update that field with any changes.

Another method would be to do the calculation on the fly.  This has greater responsiveness (you give a kudo, your bar ticks up) but can be heavier on the rest calls as you will need to do the calculation everytime the page is loaded. 

Hey KaelaC - could you share more details on hows this looking now and the level of effort to build this custom component? We're looking to do a progress bar to give users a sense of progression throughout their ranks ("x points left to level XX")

thanks a lot

• Zach,

I like your direction.  My company is just in the planning stages of our community so I don't have any ideas to share at this time, but this Barclays Ring submission in the 2013 Lithys that may be worth checking out.

Regards,

Al