Forum Discussion

peterlu
Champion
10 years ago

Lithium html markup change

Hi Lithium Dev,

We have noticed that recently your team has been updating a lot of HTML at the layout level. And it breaks 90% of my customers community.

Please be careful of doing so, coz these customers are important customers to us and to Lithium.

I am not trying to point the finger. But please announce your HTML plan before you release the HTML layout change. Then it can give us some time to notify our customers and get CSS fixed for new version of HTML.

Peter

• Hi Peter,

I spoke with the development team that made this change and they are going to change the markup so the new div tag they added gets moved inside of the top div.lia-quilt for the page so the selector you pointed out will continue to work.  We also think that as a general rule, we shouldn't be adding html around that top-most div.lia-quilt.  

However, we do need the ability to add new markup to the page in order to add new features and functionality to the community.  We won't (intentionally) remove elements, change class names, or change the order that class names should come in css selectors, but we sometimes need to wrap pre-existing tags in other tags, so selectors that use the child combinator selector (div.lia-content > div.lia-quilt) are dangerous to use because they may stop working when we place additional markup around already-existing markup on a page.

-Doug

OlivierS
    Lithium Alumni (Retired)

peterlu 

Sorry to hear that Peter.

Lithium platform upgrades are meant to be transparent to the end users and designed to not break custom development.

Release Notes are published long before upgrading customers, but might lack of technical details - I agree.

Stage environment are usually deployed before the production ones, which lets you a few days to check everything works well. And contact Lithium support if needed.

Now, could you please let us know about the changes made that impacted your communities header / footer?

peterlu
      Champion

On the edit message page, originally Lithium have 

div.lia-content > div.lia-quilt

In the new version, Lithium added in 

div.lia-content > div[data-message-id="3215"] > div.lia-quilt

If our customers css are like 

#lia-body .lia-content > .lia-quilt > blablabla

then it is gonna break.

My question is why don't add the data-message-id into div.lia-quilt? This way no html layout is changed.

DougS
        Khoros Oracle

Hi Peter,

I spoke with the development team that made this change and they are going to change the markup so the new div tag they added gets moved inside of the top div.lia-quilt for the page so the selector you pointed out will continue to work.  We also think that as a general rule, we shouldn't be adding html around that top-most div.lia-quilt.  

However, we do need the ability to add new markup to the page in order to add new features and functionality to the community.  We won't (intentionally) remove elements, change class names, or change the order that class names should come in css selectors, but we sometimes need to wrap pre-existing tags in other tags, so selectors that use the child combinator selector (div.lia-content > div.lia-quilt) are dangerous to use because they may stop working when we place additional markup around already-existing markup on a page.

-Doug