Forum Discussion

3 years ago

LithiumVisitor decryption & bulk API visit id access

Hi all,

I would greatly appreciate any insight into a few questions I have surrounding both visitor cookies and a property exposed via the bulk data API:

1. How can I decrypt the LithiumVisitor cookie in order to access the underlying “visitor.id” value?  I'm looking to gather some metrics on un-authenticated users.
  2. My understanding with visit.id (available via bulk data API) is getting generated internally, do I have access to it anywhere on the client side?  Is it only generated for authenticated users?

Thanks

JavidH
    Khoros Staff

chadwhyte 

1. Related to the LithiumVisitor Cookie, we have sent your question to our engineering team. Hoping to hear back from them.
    2. visit.id is generated internally in Community Analytics to measure user activity length (similar to sessions but not exactly user session in the community), it is generated for all users including anonymous users.
  • JavidH thanks for the response.

For visit.id I understand that it's generated internally, but is it exposed such that we can read the value on the client side?

JavidH
      Khoros Staff
      • visit.id is exposed through the Bulk API Export in CSV and JSON format in community analytics.
      • Regarding your query on the LithiumVisitor cookie: if the idea is to be able to see the anonymous user metrics separately, you could use the User Name filter with 'Anonymous' value in Community Analytics.

chadwhyte
        Adept

Thanks JavidH ,

We have another workflow in mind for the LithiumVisitor cookie, which would require decrypting it to pull out the "visitor.id" and adding a custom JS script to process the value.

Is it possible for us to decrypt the LithiumVisitor cookie?

• Hi JavidH, is there any further context you can provide to the above questions?  It would be great to close this loop.

JavidH
      Khoros Staff

I'm checking with the engineering team on this. Will keep you posted once I have an update from them.

chadwhyte
        Adept

Hi JavidH, any updates on your end?  I would like to find a resolution for this as soon as we can, as it's delaying things on my end.