Forum Discussion

scottc
Adept
9 years ago

LSI search results not populating

We were using a custom search component for our Community Search and noticed that we could not see the search term results in LSI. After some research we discovered that LSI discards search results from custom components because it views those searches as bot searches. Apparently a custom search component cannot include the needed "nodes" in the log for LSI to interpret as valid search queries.

In attempt to correct the problem, I modified our custom component so that it only includes class identifiers(for styling), some text labels, and the standard Lithium search component (common.widget.search-form). I removed all other custom code that we previously had for creating the custom search component (see below). 

After pushing to production, we still don't see any search term results in LSI (its been 48+ hours). I've spoken with Lithium Support, but they are not aware of any additional configuration that is needed, and even cited another customer that is using a standard component within a custom component - and their LSI results are working fine. 

The standard search component is working as expected, but as mentioned, LSI doesn't contain any search results. Any help on the next steps to troubleshoot this issue would be appreciated.

// Our custom component code

<div class="mod simple finder">

<b class="top"><b class="tl"></b><b class="tr"></b></b><!-- ./top -->

<div class="inner">

<div class="hd">
        <h2 class="h1"><a href="/t5/forums/searchpage/" >${text.format("custom.community-solutions-finder.title.text")}</a></h2>
    </div><!-- hd -->

<div class="bd">

<p>${text.format("custom.community-solutions-finder.description.text")}</p>

<div>
        <!-- Lithium Standard 'Search Form' component -->
        <@component id="common.widget.search-form" showAdvancedSearchLink="false" hideGranularity="true"/>
      </div>

<!-- Generate the text only when the user is in the search page -->
      <div><p>${text.format("custom.community-solutions-finder.createpost.text")}</p></div>

</div><!-- ./bd -->

</div><!-- ./inner -->

<b style="" class="bottom"><b class="bl"></b><b class="br"></b></b>

</div><!-- ./mod simple -->
    DougS
    Khoros Oracle

If you are using the core search form then your search metrics (including search terms) should show up in LSI. This sounds like it could be a bug. I would recommend filing a support case for your issue.

-Doug

scottc
      Adept

Thanks for the reply Doug. We currently have an open support ticket for this issue - they don't have a recommended solution at this point, which is why I posted here. Hopefully someone that has experienced this issue will see this post and provide some feedback. For now we are planning to use Google Analytics as a work around until we have a solution for LSI.

hpandey
      Ace

Hi DougS,

Is there any update on above issue? Can we search custom components now?

Thanks,

hemant

ClaudiusH
        Khoros Alumni (Retired)

To get search metrics populated in LSI you still need to employ the OOTB search component with the component id common.widget.search-form. You can style this form to blend into your community UI. You can see this at work at the Khoros Community search bar on top.