Forum Discussion

sullysnack
Khoros Alumni (Retired)
11 years ago

Requires Moderation Flag logic via API

Hi Lithium Developers,

Say a moderator has the Show Moderation Required Column setting turned on and the Clear Moderation Required Flag When Message is Read setting turned on.

In a custom component, having only the unique id of a message (an original post or a reply), can we use the v1 API and/or LiQL to query whether or not to show a Requires Moderation "RM" icon for the message? The idea here is to mimic Lithium's out-of-the-box experience with regard to the RM icon showing and not showing.

When my moderator user views a topic page and sees an unmoderated message, the out-of-the-box Lithium message quilt shows the RM icon as expected. At this point that the /messages/id/${msgid}/moderation/status and LiQL's moderation_status is "unmoderated." When my moderator user or any other admin or moderator user reloads the same topic page, the out-of-the-box Lithium quilt no longer shows the RM icon. I notice at this point that the /messages/id/{msgid}/moderation/status and LiQL's moderation_status remain "unmoderated!"

What pieces of data and what logic does the Lithium quilt use to show and not show the RM icon? What gets triggered when a moderator or admin reads a message? How does it get triggered? Are these data points available via the APIs?

At first I thought I could use the /messages/id/${msgid}/read API or LiQL's user_context.read value in tandem with the moderation status to determine when to show the RM icon. If the "read" value is false and the message status is unmoderated, I could show the icon. However, when a moderator disables the Clear Moderation Required Flag When Message is Read setting, the custom behavior fails. In this case, one problem is once my moderator user has read the message he won't see the custom RM icon anymore.

Thank you,

Dave

sullysnack
    Khoros Alumni (Retired)

Aha. It looks like if I grab the board of my unique message, I can use the board node's messages moderation required API to get a list of all messages in the board which require moderation, see if my msg is in the list. If yes, show icon to those moderators who have the show icon setting enabled.

sullysnack
      Khoros Alumni (Retired)

Well, looks like I still need help. I can't figure out how to use the board node's / messages / moderation / required API to match the Lithium out-of-the-box behavior with regard to the RM flag icon.

When my admin and mod user has the Clear Flag When Message Is Read setting enabled, when either of them reads the unmoderated topic, I notice the Lithium flag is cleared immediately from the Forum page. But the board node's / messages / moderation / required API list of messages still contains the topic.

What I'm really after is:

1. A per-message data point to know whether my custom RM flag should be shown or not to mods/admins, next to original posts or replies.

2. A per-thread data point to know whether my custom RM flag should be shown or not to mods/admins, next to threads.

In LiQL, for 1., I'd love for moderation_status to change from "unmoderated" to some other value after a mod or admin with the Clear Flag setting enabled has read the message, or for-real moderated the message in the mod manager.

In LiQL for 2. I'd love to get a conversation.moderation_status data point in the message response which follows the same logic as the standard Lithium RM icon behavior for threads.

luk
        Boss

Is it possible that the API "updates" the response later due to caching (Lithium caches stuff internally for performance reasons), e.g. 15 mins after the moderator viewd the topic/message the API will return the correct moderation status or does it remain "wrong" forever?

But I totally agree, this is way too complicated right now for such a small thing, the API thread AND message objects just need an additonal field like "rmflag" or whatever, DougS don't you think?