Forum Discussion

7 years ago

RestAPI calls from 3rd party sites

Hi all,

I have been trying to get my head around a solution but just cant seem to connect all the dots.

We have a 3rd party site which we want to members of that site to connect to our site and get a badge from it. I see this working similar to the way LinkedIn and facebook authentication works. I have attached a high level diagram of what I am trying to do. I know the APIs very well but I just cant seem to get my head around getting the steps after Do you wish to connect your Profile? >> Yes.

Limitations:

We can not grant read access to the API for the default user

If anyone in the community could point me in the right direction on how to get the userID for a user in an SSO enabled community when the 3rd party site doesn't use the same SSO implementation then I think I could figure the rest out myself

• allensmith81 - There are multiple steps involved here. First, you need to get the community userID of an SSO user, you can do this by the following API:

/restapi/vc/users/email/myemail@gmail.com/id

Now that you got the community userID from the above call, you can then proceed to the next steps such as adding any specific roles in the community, or anything community-related.

I hope this helps.

allensmith81
      Boss

Hi,

Thanks I had already thought about that the problem is the email address they are using on the 3rd party site may not be the same email address they are using on the community which means we cant use that restAPI call.