Forum Discussion

nathan
Executive
11 years ago

Mobile Custom Pages

I thought I'd post this here as it had me stumped for ages before I stumbled across the solution (almost by accident).

To create a custom page for mobile:

1. In Studio select the Page tab and click New

2. For the page name, use the following convention:

[MobilePageName].[AnythingYouWant]

For example:

e.g. MobileCategoryPage.MyMobCat

For Page Layouts choose Mobile Page (unless you want a different layout).

Optionally, for Copy from page, choose the mobile page you are overriding (this will just pre-populate the page with the same components).

StudioMobileCustomPage.png

3. Click Create

4. Set the page components and click save.

5. In admin, pick the page you want to set the custom layout for from the 'Settings for' menu (just below the main title).

6. Go to Content, and select Custom Pages. If all has gone well, there will be a drop down list for the Mobile Page, allowing you to select the custom page you just created.

You'll need to repeat the last two steps on live after you have release the changes to production.

SuzieH
    Khoros Alumni (Retired)

Great post, and thank you for sharing this. The procedure for overriding default pages and creating custom pages was buried in our old Studio Guide PDF. Now that we've pulled our PDF guides speparate knowledge base articles in the Documentation area on Lithosphere, you'll be able to search for and fine steps like this much more easily. 

You might find a few of the tips in these two articles helpful as well.

http://lithosphere.lithium.com/t5/pages-and-layouts/Override-a-default-page/ta-p/108961

http://lithosphere.lithium.com/t5/pages-and-layouts/Create-a-custom-page/ta-p/110639

Suzie

nathan
      Executive

Hi Susan,

I could find documentation for creating custom pages for the desktop version, but not for mobile.

Although in practice you follow pretty much the same process for desktop and mobile, the option to select a custom mobile page doesn't appear in Community Admin until after you've created the custom mobile page. This might not seem like an issue, but when combined with the omission of mobile pages in the documentation, it makes it look like you can't create a custom page for the mobile version of a specific node. In fact, I only realised you could when I found a forum post that implied it, and decided to experiment.

This could be solved with two simple changes:

1. Show the drop down list for selecting a mobile custom page even if no custom page has been created yet (can be read only if no valid options).

2. Update the documentation to explain how custom pages work on mobile.

While we're on the subject, the process for creating custom pages is probably unecessarily obscure - instead of having to follow a special naming convention, it would be much more intuitive to simply have an option when creating a page to specify which in-built page you wish to customise.

Thanks

SuzieH
        Khoros Alumni (Retired)

Thanks. I'll be working with our mobile team to get the documentation up to date. And I'll ask the question why these steps are different for desktop vs. mobile.