Forum Discussion

averstraete
Contributor
3 years ago

Developer account

I am new to the Khoros community. I was asked by our engineering team to figure out what options are available for third party developers to have a test/dev account. Obviously we don't want to build against live customer instances.

I promise I've spent over 12 minutes navigating forums, docs, etc. and have concluded I'm missing something. We are looking specifically at Khoros Communities 

Thanks!

• StanGromer we've had a significant number of internal discussions on what we can / can't do and what we're willing to do with the current landscape, API structure, security in place, patents that we have / work towards (which many competitors do not have at the level we have).   On the community side, we'll be reviewing what we have public vs semi-private once Aurora is launched and ready as there are adjustments made there.    

At this juncture, we allow registrations on developer.khoros.com and do not require NDAs.  We simply don't have it "unlocked" and publically scrapable in order to ensure that people accessing the documentation agree to the terms and conditions of said information.

averstraete , you're correct that at this point we do not offer 3rd party developers a test/development instance.  The best / only option is for any customer that you work with to engage with us for a dev instance.  

• MohammedF Why is it that Khoros doesn't just open up their API docs like most companies out there?  I assume in this case they aren't working with a Khoros customer, but instead trying to build software that will work with Khoros. Which in turn is exactly what customers like myself would love.  Let the innovation flow!

PhilippeM
    Khoros Alumni (Retired)

StanGromer we've had a significant number of internal discussions on what we can / can't do and what we're willing to do with the current landscape, API structure, security in place, patents that we have / work towards (which many competitors do not have at the level we have).   On the community side, we'll be reviewing what we have public vs semi-private once Aurora is launched and ready as there are adjustments made there.    

At this juncture, we allow registrations on developer.khoros.com and do not require NDAs.  We simply don't have it "unlocked" and publically scrapable in order to ensure that people accessing the documentation agree to the terms and conditions of said information.

averstraete , you're correct that at this point we do not offer 3rd party developers a test/development instance.  The best / only option is for any customer that you work with to engage with us for a dev instance.  

• I'd suggest checking in with your account team to find out details on your community's staging and/or dev instances.

• Thanks Drew!

The challenge that we face is that we aren't a customer so we don't have an account team. We are building on behalf of Khoros customers. unitQ would be an app that works with one or many Khoros customers.

MohammedF

Hi averstraete 

As Drew_C suggested, the customer needs to check with the account team. I'll reach out to you if we get more information on this.