Forum Discussion

7 years ago

Can you soft delete ideas on Jive?

I am working on a program that syncs data between two sites one being a Jive site. I am writing the part that syncs over deletes from one site to another. I noticed that when I use DELETE https://pisquare.osisoft.com/api/core/v3/contents/89207, the idea is no longer available in the idea management tab under the space, in the admin console. It appears to have been permanently deleted. In the idea management tab I am able to recover ideas I have deleted manually but can't seem to find a way to "soft" delete them from the site. 

I also tried DELETE https://pisquare.osisoft.com/api/core/v3/contents/89207?hardDelete=false . The option hardDelete is suppose to toggle whether to remove something permanently or not, but doesn't seem to work in  this case.

https://developers.jivesoftware.com/api/v3/cloud/rest/ContentService.html 

I also read somewhere that ideas do not support hardDelete functionality because they are not recoverable, that only documents could be recovered. However, ideas are recoverable. 

Does anyone know of way to remove ideas softly or is this a known issue?

• Hi ckilpatrick,

I just took a look in the code, and it appears that the soft delete functionality for ideas is only possible from the front end. The soft deletion was not implemented for ideas via the APIs, and so thus ideas will be fully deleted when using the APIs regardless of the hardDelete parameter. I've gone ahead and filed a bug (LJX-474) on our end to try and get this fixed in a future release. Let me know if you have any other questions I can help with!

Patrick

• ckilpatrick,

All types of Idea or posts in Jive are immediately removed from the system when being deleted. This is considered Deletion type as hard delete.

There is a warning shown to end users when trying to delete any Idea or posts.

The only exceptions to this rule are Documents, which have a soft delete feature. This means that documents can be restored from the admin console after a user has deleted the piece of content in the front-end of Jive.

ckilpatrick
      Helper

Parshant

Your reply is similar to what I found in other forums. However when testing on the site, I found that ideas are actually recoverable just like documents. I have also verified via API and via viewing the site, that ideas deleted manually are not permanently removed and can still be recovered. I believe like PatrickS that the front end functionality has been updated but access to this functionality has not been provided via API.

Here I walk through deleting an idea manually and recovering it. Showing that ideas are not removed immediately from the system when deleted and are capable of being soft deleted.

Test idea createdDelete message received when selecting deleteViewing the idea as an admin post delete, an idea that has been permanently removed should be shown as record not found but the message explains the idea is still visible to admins despite its delete status. This is something only possible when a Soft delete has occurred.When viewing the idea in the Admin Console under idea management, the idea still exists and has the option to be recovered.After recovering the idea, I am able to view the idea again with no issue.Post recovery, the idea is editable in the admin console.This is a screenshot of an idea that I deleted via API instead of manually, instead of being viable as an admin, it has been permanently removed from the site and gives a record not found error.

PatrickS
    Khoros Alumni (Retired)

Hi ckilpatrick,

I just took a look in the code, and it appears that the soft delete functionality for ideas is only possible from the front end. The soft deletion was not implemented for ideas via the APIs, and so thus ideas will be fully deleted when using the APIs regardless of the hardDelete parameter. I've gone ahead and filed a bug (LJX-474) on our end to try and get this fixed in a future release. Let me know if you have any other questions I can help with!

Patrick