Khoros Atlas Logo

Highlighted
Jolene
New Commentator

Relaunching our Community

Hi everyone! We're planning to relaunch StarHub Community https://community.starhub.com/.

Any tips and tricks that we should look out for? We're here to listen! 

@Goswamikushagra, any thoughts? 

Thanks! 

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
6 Replies 6
Honored Contributor Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

Re: Relaunching our Community

@Jolene - Sure, happy to chat about it. 

Varun | Weaving magic with Lithium!

Recent Ideas: Advanced Private Messages | Rewarding Module | Badges for Threads

Hi Jolene - I'd love to hear more of the why? and when you say "relaunch" do you mean design or a "full relaunch"?

0 Kudos
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

We're actually in the middle of our own our top to bottom rebuild - We're throwing out 100% of our code and starting at day 1 with everything we have learned over the past 2.5 years - From the endless manual processes our team does today to create and manage content, styling of the site, utilizing functions like Custom Tags and Labels, OKTA for SSO, and Coveo being extended from just being 'search' to throwing up relevant/recommended content to users. 

Happy to chat anytime!  Was thinking about this the other day, may try to get into a habit of doing a recap post every few weeks with what we are building, get thoughts/feedback from the Khoros community - There's a lot of ways to 'skin a cat' in the Khoros world, so would love to share/learn more about the ongoing stuff folks are doing vs. today it's a lot of issue/resolution stuff!

Jolene
New Commentator

Hi @BrianOblinger, our platform has been left unattended for the past 2 to 3 years and it has become a customer service channel which doesn't serve its purpose as a forum. As first steps, we want to see if we can make some quick changes in terms of design, layout and content. Thanks! 

0 Kudos
Jolene
New Commentator

Hi @StanGromer Thanks for sharing! Did you retain your member base and the old content? How big a team do you have to manage content and styling the site? 

Yes, do share your learnings, I'm sure everyone can learn a thing or two from each other! 

0 Kudos
Honored Contributor Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

Hey @Jolene 

Firstly have fun with it, you don't get to do a redesign very often, i've been lucky enough to do a couple on my site due to me first rolling out responsive and then last year I shut down our consumer help site and moved its content onto Lithium so i kinda have a 50/50 forum vs help site, lots of fun 🙂 

Be crystal clear on your business objectives, what is your community trying to achieve and what does it need to deliver, this is super important as the best looking and functional community in the world is great but if it doesn't add value to the business, what's the point. 

Some of the other learnings i've picked up, Make sure you have a great home page but don't waste time on it, if you look at the stats you'll find that most traffic is likely organic going deep into your site. 

You've got a super active and mature community so speak to the users find out what they like and don't like and play to the strength. 

Lastly, less is more... Now this is personal choice but most people are using mobile so make sure you design for mobile first and scale up, I've seen a few sites that have a very busy and wizzy layout on desktop and on mobile 90% of component are put at the bottom of the topic lists, Aint nobody seeing them on mobile so why have them in the first place. That does go against some of the best prac advice but if it's not being used or even visible for the majority why have it... keep it clean looking. 

Have a blast with it and good luck, you'll smash it i know. 

Stephen

Checkout some of the stuff i've built using the platform:

Community l Ideation l Blog l Product Hubs l Check & Report l Service Status 

My latest Ideas: Vanity URL Manager l @mention Roles l  LSW Password Policy